More people with disabilities are living in our communities than ever before – but many people who want access to their communities remain trapped in institutions. Money Follows the Person (MFP) is a federally funded program that has helped over 91,000 people with disabilities move out of institutions and into our own homes. But since MFP’s funding expired in 2016, Congress has been extending the funding month-to-month, leaving the future of this vital program at risk. Monday is a National Call-In Day to permanently fund MFP– make sure your Members of Congress hear from you!
Nearly every state participates in the MFP program, and it has been hugely successful in helping people leave institutions, enter the community, and obtain home and community-based services. But in response to uncertainty about MFP’s future, states have reduced their funding and scaled back their programs. Since 2016, the number of people with disabilities transitioning to community living has declined. Congress can fix this by reauthorizing MFP permanently, ensuring that states will continue to help people with disabilities leave institutions for decades to come.
Join Monday’s call-in and tell your Senators and Representative to permanently fund MFP! You can find their contact information at contactingcongress.org. If you’re unable to make a phone call, consider using our proxy calling system. Here’s a script you can use:
Need more scripts and tips on calling your elected officials? Check out our factsheet for help.
After you’ve called in, there’s more you can do to help MFP:
- Email or fax your Senators and Representative. You can use the same script as you did while calling.
- Contact your Members of Congress on social media. Tag your Senators and Representative in posts about why it’s important to provide permanent funding for Money Follows the Person.
Community integration is a civil right, and it’s one that every single disabled person should have access to. Let’s show Congress that when it comes to protecting the rights of our community members, we stand together.
- ? Join the National Call-In Day for Permanent MFP Reauthorization! ?
- ACTION ALERT: National Call-In Day for #ABLEAgeNow
- How are YOU taking action this TCEA Tuesday? ✊
- This August recess, let your members of Congress know it’s time to #WorkWithUs
- #WorkWithUs for Integrated Employment
- ACTION ALERT: We have until June 21st to speak up for equal pay
- Disabled immigrants are under attack
- URGENT: Time is running out to #StopKavanaugh
- ACTION ALERT: Kavanaugh is closer to confirmation – WE NEED YOUR VOICE NOW
- ACTION ALERT: Enough is enough – tell your Senators to #StopKavanaugh