ASAN is hiring for a Communications Associate position. Consider becoming a part of the team and helping us reach our grassroots community!
The Communications Associate will take the lead on communicating effectively about ASAN’s work, events, and publications. They will also take an active role in planning events including Day of Mourning and ACI. They will work closely with ASAN’s Deputy Director of Operations. The job is a salaried position paying $57,000/year with comprehensive health insurance and up to 5 weeks of paid time off per year.
The Communications Associate may work at ASAN’s Washington, DC office or work remotely.
- Manage and grow ASAN’s social media presence across multiple platforms (including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube)
- Work with ASAN staff to relay information about ASAN’s work to the public and promote ASAN resources
- Coordinate ASAN newsletter and member benefits
- Engage & mobilize the self-advocate community online and offline, including via grassroots outreach, hosting webinars, and providing support to events such as Day of Mourning and the ASAN gala
- Respond to inquiries related to information & referral.
- Digital fundraising, including end of year, promoting publications, and managing recurring donations
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work on multiple logistically complex long-term projects simultaneously
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Apps
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Facebook, Tumblr and Twitter
- Strong phone, email, and written communication skills (this can include using AAC or other communication supports as necessary)
- Familiarity with the disability rights, self-advocacy, and neurodiversity movements
- Ability to work flexible and nonstandard hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Ability to take direction, take initiative, and work in a team
- Track record of discretion and reliability in work and advocacy environments
- Willingness to learn about and respect the different access needs of self-advocates and work colleagues
- Experience in graphic design
- Proficiency with video editing and basic motion graphics (lower thirds, etc)
- In-depth knowledge of social media practices, including accessibility and familiarity with scheduling apps such as Hootsuite
If you have examples of your work in the preferred skills, please feel free to submit a portfolio!
We strongly encourage autistic people of color, AAC users, and members of the LGBTQ community to apply. Interested parties should send their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.