People with disabilities live better lives when we are included in our local communities. That’s just as true when it comes to work as it is for education and housing. With the right supports, people with all kinds of disabilities and support needs can have good jobs that pay us well — but too many of us are still warehoused at dead-end, segregated workshops that pay pennies on the dollar. The Transformation to Competitive Employment Act (TCEA) would end the discriminatory practice of subminimum wage, and give states and service providers the resources they need to create better employment support programs.
People with disabilities deserve real work for real pay. Here’s how YOU can take action to make that happen:
- Email your members of Congress (click the envelope icon in their entry on contactingcongress.org)
- Call your members of Congress (find their office phone numbers on contactingcongress.org)
For more information about how to contact your members of Congress on this issue, click here.
- Submit a comment to the Department of Labor and let them know workers with disabilities deserve equal pay. You can get tips and watch a tutorial about how to submit a comment here.
- Use social media and #WorkWithUs to spread the word about TCEA. You can use this sample text for tweets and posts:
- Write an op-ed or letter to the editor for your local newspaper, letting your neighborhood know why and how they should support TCEA and real work for real pay.
It’s long past time for people with disabilities to have equal opportunities and equal pay. With every action you take, you bring us closer to making that a reality.
- Learn more about TCEA here: https://integratedemploymentnow.org/about-the-transformation-to-competitive-employment-act/
- Learn more about employment policy with ASAN’s Easy Read toolkit: https://autisticadvocacy.org/policy/toolkits/employment/