Since the beginning of 2020, ASAN has been engaged in a formal process to examine our internal structures and practices, and develop a plan to embed equity and racial justice in our work and organizational culture. We are excited to share this plan with you! This equity plan explains our organizational commitments to gather and implement community feedback; hire, retain, and promote staff of color; improve ASAN’s internal practices and work culture; and ensure that our work centers the needs, perspectives and leadership of autistic people of color. These plans are not the end, but blueprints for our continued work to make ASAN a more equitable organization and better serve our whole community.
Our plan contains many recommendations and goals developed through working with Epiphanies of Equity, a BIPOC-led social equity group. We hope you’ll take a look and learn more about the steps we are taking.
The Easy Read Version is split into parts. Click on the title of any of the parts below to download it:
- Listen to our community
- Share our work with the community
- Hire and promote staff of color
- Meetings, discussions, and changes at ASAN
- All-staff meetings about our equity plan
- Bringing all staff into the equity and anti-racism process
- Build coalitions and relationships
- Making racial justice part of all policy work
- Make sure ASAN resources are equitable
- More equity work in ASAN’s trainings, affiliates, and ACI
- Work toward equity and racial justice every day
You can also download the entire Easy Read Version of our Equity Plan by clicking here.
We’re also proud to release our 2021-2024 strategic plan, which outlines ASAN’s major organizational and policy goals for this 5-year period. ASAN’s equity and strategic plans are intentionally aligned; both emphasize our commitments to center equity, intersectionality and anti-racism in our work, and direct ASAN to focus on work that benefits our multiply-marginalized community members.